A detailed (80+ page) manual for health practitioners, setting out the law on consent to medical treatment, has been circulated as a consultation draft by the New South Wales Ministry of Health.
The draft Consent Manual and the comments template is available on the ASMOF website:
Some of the significant changes since the last version are said to include:
- consent by “mature minors”;
- more information on advanced care directives;
- clarification of the meaning of “Special Medical Treatment”;
- clarifying consent procedures for mental health patients; and
- inclusion of various privacy provisions and associated guidelines re disclosure of genetic information.