From the Royal Commission website:
The Royal Commission is holding a public hearing in Sydney commencing 6 May 2015 at 10:00am. The scope and purpose of the public hearing is to inquire into:
- The experience of a number of patients of health care services in New South Wales who were sexually abused as children in:
a. private medical practices; and
b. public hospitals.
- The experience of a number of complainants who made complaints against a medical practitioner to the New South Wales Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) and the then New South Wales Medical Board.
- The systems, policies, practices and procedures for receiving, investigating and responding to complaints against medical practitioners of child sexual abuse of:
a. the HCCC;
b. the Medical Council of New South Wales; and
c. the Royal North Shore Hospital, Northern Sydney.
- The experience of an outpatient who alleges child sexual abuse by a psychologist at the Royal North Shore Hospital, Northern Sydney in the late 1960’s.
- The systems, policies and procedures of the Northern Sydney Local Health District and New South Wales Ministry of Health for preventing, detecting and responding to child sexual abuse.
- The experience of an inpatient who alleged child sexual abuse by a volunteer at The Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne in the early 1980’s.
- The response of The Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria to an allegation of child sexual abuse made against a hospital volunteer.
- The systems, policies and procedures of The Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria for preventing, detecting and responding to child sexual abuse.
- Any related matters.
Any person or institution who believes that they have a direct and substantial interest in the scope and purpose of the public hearing is invited to lodge a written application for leave to appear at the public hearing by 22 April 2015.
Applications for leave to appear should be made using the form available on the Royal Commission website entitled ‘Application for Leave to Appear at the Royal Commission’ and include a short submission setting out the basis on which it is said the applicant has a substantial and direct interest in appearing.
The form and the submission should be lodged with the Royal Commission via: Email:email@example.com; or Mail: GPO Box 5283, Sydney NSW 2001.