Released today is the Report of the Review of Hospital Safety and Quality Assurance in Victoria, written by Professor Stephen Duckett and entitled “Targeting Zero”.
Following a summary of findings, the report makes 10 umbrella recommendations, which address:
- Safety and quality improvement
- Hospital Boards
- Flow of information
- Independent clinical expertise for attention to improvements
- Risk management such that hospitals only offer care that is within capabilities
- Robust clinical governance
- Funding of mental health services
- Clinical leadership
- Focus on patient experience
The more detailed proposals include:
- That the Minister establish a statutory duty of candour; and
- That the government refers the issue of the feasibility of extending no-fault medical insurance to all healthcare injuries not currently planned to be covered by the National Disability Insurance Scheme or the National Injury Insurance Scheme to the Legal and Social Issues Committee of the Legislative Council for investigation.