A new National Disability Insurance Scheme Quality and Safeguarding Framework has been developed to ensure that all NDIS participants can access high quality and safe supports. The Framework includes the following:
- a Code of Conduct;
- provider registration, including quality assurance;
- a complaints handling system;
- reportable incident notification;
- behaviour support and restrictive practice oversight;
- investigation and enforcement; and
- nationally consistent worker screening.
One aspect of the new NDIS Quality and Safeguarding Framework is the NDIS Code of Conduct. It is said that the final Code of Conduct will be enforceable by law and will include sanctions for breaches of the Code. It will come into effect once the NDIS is at full-scheme.
The Code of Conduct will be overseen by a NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission, announced by the Commonwealth Government on 9 May 2017
A discussion paper is available, inviting responses by 21 June 2017. Aspects covered in the paper include:
- Prevention of violence and exploitation;
- Sexual misconduct;
- Record keeping;
- Professional liability insurance.
With thanks to Timothy Bowen for noting this development.