The Australian Law Reform Commission today released its report 131 entitled Elder Abuse – A National Legal Response. A discussion of the role of health professionals begins at [11.6]. A discussion of the NDIS begins at [11.33].
The Report includes 43 recommendations designed to safeguard older people from abuse and support their choices and wishes through:
- improved responses to elder abuse in residential aged care;
- enhanced employment screening of care workers;
- greater scrutiny regarding the use of restrictive practices in aged care;
- building trust and confidence in enduring documents as important advanced planning tools;
- protecting older people when ‘assets for care’ arrangements go wrong;
- banks and financial institutions protecting vulnerable customers from abuse;
- better succession planning across the self-managed superannuation sector;
- adult safeguarding regimes protecting and supporting at-risk adults.